[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Ubuntu-cy - Ubuntu Linux - Cyprus Local Community Team • View topic - Light Debian

Light Debian

Discussion and help related with Debian Linux...

Light Debian

Postby christodoulos » Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:55 am

I have a very old machine and I want to make it work.
I dried Ubuntu but the system couldn't load the image.
Then I tried Ubuntu Alternate and it faild too.
Then I tried MaryanLinux but again nothing.
Next was MaryanLinux but again the same resaults.

Searching arround I found Glive.
I could load the image, make the installation but someting was wrong with grub.
I never make it work

Finaly I tried Debian!

Debian works just fine. The only thing is that I have to make some configurations
to feel like Ubuntu! :)

I'm going to try today Xubuntu

Do you know any lighter Ubuntu distro?
christodoulos
Advanced Member

Re: Light Debian

Postby theo » Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:36 pm

Ah... Debian The universal OS.

I do not think you need to experiment more. How light a distro is depends mainly on the Window manager and if you use something like icewm, enlightenment or fluxbox the performance will be acceptable. You may loose some of the features of Gnome or KDE but I think you can live with that. Also avoid OpenOffice as it is very heavy. Use abiword and other lighter alternatives. For a browser I suggest epiphany.
Some people like to look out of the window. Some others prefer to look at the curtains instead!

www.theo-andreou.org
theo
31337 Guru

Postby charizan » Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:27 pm

is not that i disagree with Theo, he is right!!!
alternate solutions from the one that Theo said is Slax, which is extremely light!!
and ...( yes Theo im going to say it).. install and play around with Arch Linux......it simply rules!!!
not to mention that you'll learn a lot just from the installation!! ;)
cheers!
It's only funny until someone gets hurt, then it's hilarious!
charizan
Guru

Postby edhunter » Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:41 pm

u can try . its based on sidux (based on debian sid) and has lxde for desktop environment. never tried it myself (yet) but i hear that its pretty light and fast
edhunter
Forum Active member

Postby theo » Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:23 pm

lxde-sid looks interesting! Any idea what are the minimum system requirments?

Another one is which is based on debian as well but uses a lighter 2.4 kernel. The developers claim it can run on 486 with 64MB RAM !!! The Window Manager is icewm.
Some people like to look out of the window. Some others prefer to look at the curtains instead!

www.theo-andreou.org
theo
31337 Guru

Postby edhunter » Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:36 pm

edhunter
Forum Active member

Postby marinos » Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:11 pm

Am gonna try lxde-sid on Monday on P3 pc with 64MB of and I'll give you feedback.
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.
--Albert Einstein--
marinos
How much time you spend in here?

Postby edhunter » Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:29 pm

cool :)

if u are really going to use it the sidux manual might be usefull

i dont know how close the two projects are but as far as i can tell lxde-sid uses debian sid and sidux repos and is just sidux with a different DE and if that is the case please read the manual (atleast the quick start guide) before u do any upgrade and only install programs with apt-get
edhunter
Forum Active member

Postby christodoulos » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:12 am

Thanks for the feedback. I also tried Xubuntu but again the system couldn't load the image.
If there was a command line installation I think that Xubuntu could make it work.
So finaly I installed Debian, configure it based on my needs and I don't think I'm going to exeriment any more on that PC.

Debian is great!

But yesterday I got anotherone OLD machine ! ! ! :D
As for those distros you told me I'm going to test them on that PC and I'll let you know the resualts :twisted:
christodoulos
Advanced Member

Postby marinos » Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:02 pm

Test fail because of HDD error...
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.
--Albert Einstein--
marinos
How much time you spend in here?

Next

Return to Debian