Ubuntu Install cd Customization

Projects from the ubuntucy community...

Ubuntu Install cd Customization

Postby theo » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:20 am

Guys I have an idea for a project and I would like your suggestions. I want to create a customized Ubuntu Install DVD for OEMs that will have all the necessary packages for a home user and get installed automatically. I found this guide which is very useful:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Insta ... tomization

I want to create a script, based on the above guide, that will take all the necessary packages from a text file, download them and build the DVD. The DVD itself can not be distributable as it will include non free packages like flash and java (No budget for lawyers :) ). One could recreate it by himself though using the script and selecting the packages he likes. What do you think?
Some people like to look out of the window. Some others prefer to look at the curtains instead!

www.theo-andreou.org
theo
31337 Guru

Re: Ubuntu Install cd Customization

Postby edhunter » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:10 pm

sounds like a very good idea :) i was actually thinking of making something simillar but without the non-free packages and not for ubuntu (dont want to steal ur idea :P )

if u make it into a live cd maybe u can upload it someplace and we can test it for u :)
edhunter
Forum Active member

Postby theo » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:18 pm

The idea is to be able to easily create a custom installer yourself with packages of your choice. So you can create DVD isos for different target groups: Home Users, students, school kids, housewives, programmers, gamers etc. All you need to do should be to select a text file with package names and point it to the script. No need to upload the image as it is not going to be suitable for everyone.
Some people like to look out of the window. Some others prefer to look at the curtains instead!

www.theo-andreou.org
theo
31337 Guru

Postby medigeek » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:28 pm

You mean something like.. an ubuntu package post-installer? :D
Put in the CD/DVD and have an autorun GUI application do the legwork?
If that is the idea, I love it!
medigeek
How much time you spend in here?

Postby edhunter » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:36 pm

theo wrote:The idea is to be able to easily create a custom installer yourself with packages of your choice. So you can create DVD isos for different target groups: Home Users, students, school kids, housewives, programmers, gamers etc. All you need to do should be to select a text file with package names and point it to the script. No need to upload the image as it is not going to be suitable for everyone.

well i had something a bit different in my mind. i thought u wanted to create a customized live cd for ur needs that u could give to friends and by distribute i thought u ment not to have it on a site for all to dl but just for friends etc.

Still a good idea but not something i would do cs the distro i use updates the packages too often and only a couple of days after the cd i created would be considered old..

It would be great if u could prepare a guide in greek like the one in the wiki page with some package suggestions :)
edhunter
Forum Active member

Postby theo » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:47 pm

medigeek wrote:You mean something like.. an ubuntu package post-installer? :D
Put in the CD/DVD and have an autorun GUI application do the legwork?
If that is the idea, I love it!

Well I thought more of like a script that can built an Installer DVD with customized packages and it can be installed using the standard procedure of the Ubuntu Installer. Using a customized package list one could create a DVD that suits his/her needs and can use repeatedly.

www.theo-andreou.org
theo
31337 Guru

Postby theo » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:53 pm

edhunter wrote:
theo wrote:The idea is to be able to easily create a custom installer yourself with packages of your choice. So you can create DVD isos for different target groups: Home Users, students, school kids, housewives, programmers, gamers etc. All you need to do should be to select a text file with package names and point it to the script. No need to upload the image as it is not going to be suitable for everyone.

well i had something a bit different in my mind. i thought u wanted to create a customized live cd for ur needs that u could give to friends and by distribute i thought u ment not to have it on a site for all to dl but just for friends etc.

Still a good idea but not something i would do cs the distro i use updates the packages too often and only a couple of days after the cd i created would be considered old..

It would be great if u could prepare a guide in greek like the one in the wiki page with some package suggestions :)

The point is that anyone can create their own custom CD/DVD with packages ready to install. Uploading a custom DVD, even if the bundled software is 100% free, it wouldn't be useful for everyone as there are different target groups and different individual needs. But in case of an OEM or a computer shop it would make their lives easier as they would not have to manually install and customize every linux system they install.

I think the preseed procedure described in the ubuntu help site would work for most debian based systems with minor modifications.

www.theo-andreou.org
theo
31337 Guru

Postby edhunter » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:09 pm

the distro im using offers u a way to create a script which would download a bunch of apps and that script would be called from a gui application (apt-get will be used as backend) and once u have the packages there are a couple of ways u can create an installation disc but i dont really know how easy these ways to create the live cd are..

btw the gui application im talking about should work on any debian distro so if u want to have a look at it just let me know and i can get u the deb with some scripts so u can see how it works
edhunter
Forum Active member

Return to Projects