up2date tool

Projects from the ubuntucy community...

up2date tool

Postby sotos_ubu » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:04 pm

Guys I want to show you a project of mine from the summer. It started when I was too lazy to study for my university exams and wanted to learn python! The idea behind this project is to simplify and accelerate the process of updating, upgrading and keeping our system clean. I know the idea is very old and it could be implemented with many other and easier ways, but as I said the goal was to learn python. The reason it took me so long to present it even tho it was finished long time ago is because I never intended to make an application out of it, but then I thought even if only one person find it useful, is enough for me. Anyway the tool is very simple and easy to use. You run it and a small menu appears with the functions you can choose. From there you pick up numbers and the job is done! It has a well written README and has help during runtime. Please use it and tell me what you think!

sourceforge link: http://sourceforge.net/projects/up2datepy/
Screenshot: http://www.flickr.com/photos/69790635@N03/6344713154/
Υπάρχουν 10 ειδών άνθρωποι. Αυτοί που καταλαμβαίνουν το δυαδικό
σύστημα και αυτοί που δεν το καταλαμβαίνουν.
sotos_ubu
Advanced Member

Re: up2date tool

Postby theo » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:53 am

Nice work Sotos! A little bit redundant for debian but still a really nice effort.

Some notes:
1) up2date used to be the name of the predecessor of yum in Redhat systems. You may chose to use a different name to avoid confusion.
2) Try to use more descriptive commands rather that numbers as options. For example replace "2" with "dist-upgrade".
3) up2date -h is not very descriptive of what to do. It would be nice to explain what the options do.
Some people like to look out of the window. Some others prefer to look at the curtains instead!

www.theo-andreou.org
theo
31337 Guru

Postby sotos_ubu » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:52 pm

Thank you for your reply. The reason I went with numbers is that because they are short, its easier to use them and type them than the whole command. Which is kind the point of the tool. Unless you mean that the description I give next to the numbers are not very descriptive. I will try and make it more descriptive overall. Now as far as the name I didn't know that. Is up2datepy a good name? :)
Υπάρχουν 10 ειδών άνθρωποι. Αυτοί που καταλαμβαίνουν το δυαδικό
σύστημα και αυτοί που δεν το καταλαμβαίνουν.
sotos_ubu
Advanced Member

Postby theo » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:14 am

Yes why not? :)
Some people like to look out of the window. Some others prefer to look at the curtains instead!

www.theo-andreou.org
theo
31337 Guru

Return to Projects