Community project suggestion

Projects from the ubuntucy community...

Re: Community project suggestion

Postby demas » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:37 am

mi.isaakidis wrote:If you need ftp servers in Greece that might want to support the project, we could contact:

ftp.gr.debian.org
ftp.ntua.gr (National Technical University of Athens)
ftp.csd.uch.gr (University of Heraklion)
ftp.forthnet.gr (Forthnet ISP)
What about this one.... ftp://ftp.cs.ucy.ac.cy/ (University of Cyprus)!

Sourceforge is in my opinion much better, "independent" from canonical and there is actually no need to register, if you have OpenID or even a google account.
Well I don't think that there is any problem with the hosting...We could use cytanet as well.
Our Portfolio: GPS Cyprus | PiratePartyCyprus | GO-Nethost | More...
Hosted by Us: Kapouti |
demas
How much time you spend in here?

Postby theo » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:45 am

Guys one of the ideas at the OSEPA Conference was to build our own distribution. So I think there was enough talking and it's time to go forward with this. Some suggestions:

1) We need to find a name for it. Is "Ubuntucy" acceptable?
2) We need to decide on which Ubuntu to be based on. I suggest 10.04.2 LTS so that we do not have to update it every 6 months. I think it is better to follow the Ubuntu LTS cycle.
3) We need to decide on the software to be included. Regarding proprietary software I think we should include the Ubuntu-restricted-extras (flash, java, codecs, fonts). Also the libdvdcss library from the medibuntu project.
4) We need a Cyprus personalized theme/backround.
6) Provide a single panel interface like Linux Mint. This will help the Windows newbies to accept it easier.
7) The English/Greek layout switcher should be included by default.
8) Disable the gnome-keyring feature. This is really something that cause panic to new users and sometimes even to more experience ones.
9) It should be a livecd with an normal install option and wubi included.
10) We need to include some instructions and precautions in both Greek and English in the form of READMEs and FAQs.
11) we should document the whole procedure step by step.
12) I don't know if launchpad will help since we are not going to release any code. I think we should create a chroot jail on our server where people can experiment with and release periodic snapshots until we reach the desired result.
13) Should we produce both 32 and 64 bit versions or just one of them?
14) After we have the final ISO we can ask Cytanet and the Universities in Cyprus to host it

Can I have your ideas/suggestions regarding this? Which of you are interested to participate?
Some people like to look out of the window. Some others prefer to look at the curtains instead!

www.theo-andreou.org
theo
31337 Guru

Postby ghadjic » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:56 am

I would like to participate :)
ghadjic
Forum newbie

Postby medigeek » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:14 pm

theo wrote:1) We need to find a name for it. Is "Ubuntucy" acceptable?

Well, we need a cool mythological name associated with Cyprus.. how about Aphrodite? or.. MediterranOS or.. Halloumi lol :D
medigeek

Postby charizan » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:16 am

count me in!

as for ur suggestions( my opinions) :

1) "Ubuntucy" sounds perfect! but we have to make sure that we are not going to have any issues with canonical. in case that we cant use ubuntucy we can have a poll and decide for the name! i dont think that it will be difficult to come up with smth... CypruX...there are plenty of names! :)
2) LTS cycle.
3) sounds fine
4) We need a Cyprus personalized theme/backround --> easiest of all! we can put a foukou or a mix with lemons next to it in a plate!! :D LOL! im sure that we can find something, we can put a poll to decide about it!
6) Linux Mint interface sounds great
7) The English/Greek layout switcher should be included by default --> definitely!!!
8) Disable the gnome-keyring feature. This is really something that cause panic to new users and sometimes even to more experience ones -->ok!
9) It should be a livecd with an normal install option and wubi included. -> ok!
12) chroot on the server sounds great
13) we start with the 32 version and we proceed accordingly
14) After we have the final ISO we can ask Cytanet and the Universities in Cyprus to host it-->ok!
It's only funny until someone gets hurt, then it's hilarious!
charizan
Guru

Postby freebsdcy » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:30 pm

i could also help.. i'm in athens but i'm sure there is some way to help..
freebsdcy
Forum newbie

Postby medigeek » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:32 pm

+1 for charizan's suggestions!
medigeek

Postby theo » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:16 pm

OK I'll set up the chroot on first change. I will create usernames for those involved and all commands will be logged so we know what happened and can revert to a previous state if something goes wrong.
Some people like to look out of the window. Some others prefer to look at the curtains instead!

www.theo-andreou.org
theo
31337 Guru

Postby kostis » Tue May 31, 2011 3:26 pm

it's really a great idea guys! if I could help with anything, just let me know
kostis
Forum newbie

Postby meidei » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:07 pm

3) We need to decide on the software to be included. Regarding proprietary software I think we should include the Ubuntu-restricted-extras (flash, java, codecs, fonts). Also the libdvdcss library from the medibuntu project.

Flash is unavoidable but there's OpenJDK, codecs are opensource anyway (patents are the issue), there are very good open fonts (Gentium, Deja vu, MgOpen, GFS fonts etc) -there's no need for MS's fonts.

4) We need a Cyprus personalized theme/backround.

A yellow-gold theme will be sufficient, imho.

7) The English/Greek layout switcher should be included by default.

Certainly.
And regarding the installed UI langs, shouldn't Turkish be included in the CD too? If this distro is going to be proposed as a national distro for use by the Public Sector, this is.
meidei
Forum newbie

Previous

Return to Projects