Poll ended at Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:50 pm

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes : 17

Vote for or against ECDL

Postby theo » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:50 pm

Guys we had been in a discussion with Mr Panikos Masouras from CCS regarding a co-operation in events, announcements and promotion of our goals.

The CCS link is already up and they have put our link on their site. Now one other think they requested was to put a Link to their ECDL information site. As this issue could cause considerable controversy, let me tell you some facts to help you decide for or against:

1) ECDL is not Microsoft focused but Vendor Neutral instead. There are classes that teach OpenOffice instead of MS Office.
2) There are currently no Classes to teach OpenOffice in Cyprus but the link will help us promote OpenOffice in Cyprus. We are also planning some Presentations to several Private Schools that teach ECDL.
3) Panikos Masouras has asked The Foundation for Promoting Research to Fund an ECDL program based on OpenOffice but he was turned down even though the proposal scored high. (Insert favorite curse here).
4) More than 60% of the attendants to the party were notified though CCS and this could be a nice way to thank them.

The link will point to a webpage under our domain that will explain the above to visitors and then offer links to the relevant ECDL page under the CCS domain. I for one I am supporting this proposal but it is up to everyone to decide.
Some people like to look out of the window. Some others prefer to look at the curtains instead!
theo
31337 Guru

Re: Vote for or against ECDL

Postby constantinosm » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:33 pm

Good, why not!
Last edited by constantinosm on Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
constantinosm
Linux Enthusiast

Postby theo » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:41 pm

I forgot to mention that their is no way to tell that one has followed the OpenOffice or MS Path. The diplomas are exactly the same and this can serve as a protection to anyone that has finished the ECDL on OpenOffice because some employers being narrow minded they may consider OpenOffice as inferior to MS Office.
Some people like to look out of the window. Some others prefer to look at the curtains instead!
theo
31337 Guru

Postby christodoulos » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:49 pm

I'm teaching some students MS Word and I was trying to find a way to jump to OpenOffice.

I thought that ECDL was concentrating on MS only.
I like this idea and I want to get some more info on this is someone can help me.
christodoulos
Advanced Member

Postby theo » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:56 pm

christodoulos wrote:I'm teaching some students MS Word and I was trying to find a way to jump to OpenOffice.

I thought that ECDL was concentrating on MS only.
I like this idea and I want to get some more info on this is someone can help me.

All you need to know is up there. The diplomas are the same and the ECDL promotes itself as vendor neutral which is good for us.
theo
31337 Guru

Postby medigeek » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:20 pm

Great idea, but I hardly think a poll without names will make a difference, you need a petition signed with names:
http://www.petitiononline.com/
Then with enough signatures, you can forward it to the appropriate council or its members.

Here's an example petition made for requesting 64-bit adobe/macromedia flash and shockwave versions:
http://www.petitiononline.com/lin64swf/petition.html
medigeek
How much time you spend in here?

Postby theo » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:47 pm

medigeek wrote:Great idea, but I hardly think a poll without names will make a difference, you need a petition signed with names:
http://www.petitiononline.com/
Then with enough signatures, you can forward it to the appropriate council or its members.

Here's an example petition made for requesting 64-bit adobe/macromedia flash and shockwave versions:
http://www.petitiononline.com/lin64swf/petition.html

The poll is about us. I just thought that the ignorance that surrounds the status of ECDL in Cyprus could cause controversy and get us accused of promoting MS Office.

Regarding adoption from the Government petitions will not help. Remember in this country it does not matter what you know but WHO you know. Fortunately their was one IT related representative from the Ministry of Education and suggested that we prepare some more detailed presentations regarding FOSS for the Ministry. I am still not sure if this will end to something useful but we sure are going to give it a try!
theo
31337 Guru

Postby medigeek » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:06 pm

woops, misread :oops:
Personally, I wouldn't prepare something for the government, unless they show some more interest. Enlightening and making presentations is one thing, doing hard work that's not going to be implemented is another thing, and (dare I say?) a really frustrating fact.

Example: I asked the web design team of the gov to provide me with an SVG or some kind of vector graphics file that I could use to show the coat of arms of Cyprus for a wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coat_of_arms_of_Cyprus
Result: They haven't replied since, except for when they forwarded my message to them.

(And compare it to the SVG this page has: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coat_of_ar ... ern_Cyprus)

Edit: But then again, that's just my bad luck, maybe someone else has had some good experience before
medigeek
How much time you spend in here?

Postby theo » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:03 pm

medigeek wrote:woops, misread :oops:
Personally, I wouldn't prepare something for the government, unless they show some more interest. Enlightening and making presentations is one thing, doing hard work that's not going to be implemented is another thing, and (dare I say?) a really frustrating fact.

This is so true! But we are going to try anyway :)
theo
31337 Guru

Postby theo » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:28 am

theo wrote:3) Panikos Masouras has asked The Foundation for Promoting Research to Fund an ECDL program based on OpenOffice but he was turned down even though the proposal scored high. (Insert favorite curse here).

A correction to the above. The proposal was not submitted by Mr Panikos. The ECDL Cyprus participated in the proposal that was eventually rejected.
theo
31337 Guru

Next

Return to Forum announcements